Caroline in Hong Kong

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Random Thoughts

Well its been a few days since I've sat down to write comments. It seems like I have a ton of things to say now. Almost every day there are little scenes that I notice that I just want to share. Hopefully I will have remembered them all from the last few days to write down here. So if its random sorry but as many of you know that's how I usually am anyway.

First thought is how cool an Octupus card is. The transportation system here is amazing. You have an Octupus card that you have to put money on from time to time but you can use it all every mode of transportation in Hong Kong (subway, trolleys, taxi, bus, tram, ferry, etc.). It really is very nice. However beyond that you can use your Octupus cards at various stores as well such as McDonalds and 7/11's. It can also be used at vending machine. It seems like everywhere I go I can use my Octupus card. Its great and very handy. It is also picked up really easily. You can leave the Octupus card in the front of your purse or wallet and put that on the reader. It will pick it up. You don't have to physically lay the card on it. It really is nice.
The subway is nice as well. I have learned how to get on the KCR to go from the hotel right to school.

Talking of the subways, when I'm usually on the KCR (the above ground subway - the MTR is below ground and not really in the New Territories area where I'm at) it is quiet and people usually are just sitting or standing waiting for their stop. Some people have conversations but it really isn't much. The other day Megan and I left school around 330. It was so loud on the train. Almost everybody was talking. I kept watching a grandfather holding is toddler grandson. It was awesome to watch their interactions. The toddler looked very tired and just watched his grandfather. The grandfather would talk to somebody for a few minutes and then talk to his grandson very quietly. The whole time it was so loud and so much going on around me but it was so interesting to watch this interaction. Its the same interactions as grandfathers in the US but yet somehow unique as I was watching and not comprehending a word being said but at the same time knowing kinda what was being said. I really enjoyed it and was shocked at how quick that ride one station up seemed to go that time.

As for orientation. Its been going pretty well. Thursday and Friday was two days spent at school learning more school related stuff but we finished at noon both days because Megan and I have a flat. It really wasn't the information overload that I expected yet but I know that is coming next week. I am ready to start cleaning up my room and organizing it but I can't start until next week. I just wish I had more stuff to hang up but there again that will work out as well.

We finished this week of orientation up with a Parent Representative Dinner. One of the parents invited us over to their flat (which was HUGE) and other parents came as well. There was a lot of people there. It was a great time to meet parents and students and fellowship. We also had a time of praise and worship. It was great to praise and worship God together in Hong Kong. The best part to me was the last song. We sang Because He Lives but the worship leader was singing in Chinese (along with other Chinese parents and children) but the rest of sang in English. Although it was two different languages we were singing the same song with the same message. It was amazing! I really don't feel that I can put in words what it was like.

The rest of the dinnner I talked to a mother whose husband teaches in the secondary school and who has a son in 7th grade and a daughter in 5th. It really was a great time talking to her. I felt very comfortable and enjoyed the time of fellowship. It started to make Hong Kong feel much more at home. It was hard to believe that it lasted 3 hours. I came home to talk with my family. I am so happy to have a cell phone. Oh yeah Micah the reason cell phones is on cultural differences is because of how they set up and use their phones here. Not to mention that their plans (or SIM cards) are so cheap. I mean I'm paying about $17 for one SIM card.

So so far so good. Things are going well here in Hong Kong. I've noticed so many differences but also so many similarities. I'm looking forward to starting school but I am also very scared about starting school. It seems so unreal that I am to the point in my life that I am starting a career and will be the teacher. It is still unreal to me but I'm ready. I'm excited. Well until next time have a great time reading and if you have questions just email me.

1 Comments:

  • hey caroline! i just had to sit down and read your whole blog. i tried to look at it once this summer, but i couldn't get it to come up. but all is good now. i'm glad that things are going well and that you're starting to get familiar with things. i'll be sure to keep up with you on here. love you, kid!

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home