Cultural Differences
After spending the last few days in Hong Kong I have began to notice some cultural differences. One is there idea of personal space is different. You are constantly bumping into people which is okay (mainly because there is so many people around that you are bound to bump into people). They also stand very close when in line or at the subway. It is not always packed in the subway but you will notice that some people stand by the door close to others instead of spreading out and standing in the aisle (like I find myself doing from time to time). It really has not bothered me that this happens here but something that I have noticed. I have also notice that they don't seem to people watch a lot. Most of the time they are concentrating on what they are doing and not just watching what other people are doing (which I'm people watching all the time). Now granted I'm mainly watching people in the subway or in New Towne Plaza (a huge mall with a LOT of people there) and they are there for a reason to catch a train or because they are shopping. Anyway, another difference which I guess could be classified as a cultural difference is that they buy a cell phone at one place and then go somewhere else to buy a SIM card which is basically like your plan (they don't have contracts so you can change anytime you like). I got a cell phone today which I'm very excited about. Its not an overly nice phone but it works well for me. Its a Nokia 3120 and the good news is that when I return to the states at the end of 2 years I could use it there I would only have to get a new SIM card with a US plan. After paying quite a bit for my cell phone (I'm used to getting the free phone that comes with a plan), I went to get a SIM card. Well this process took a while for two reasons. One because we had to find the place to get the SIM cards. Megan and I were looking for Orange which we eventually found out had changed to 3. It took some time in the huge New Towne Plaza to locate it. Then it took a while to decide what plan we wanted and what exactly it meant and sign up for it. We ended up with 2 SIM cards. That's 2 plans with 2 different numbers. I know it sounds crazy but most people in Hong Kong have between 3-5 different SIM cards. One SIM card is for use here in Hong Kong. I'll use it to talk to other teacher in Hong Kong and to make phone calls here in Hong Kong. Its really a good plan and less than $20 US a month. The other one is mainly for me to make international calls. I could use it for calls in Hong Kong but I got it so that I could call home. Its only 3 cents a minute for to call the US. Needless to say I was VERY excited to get it. I have already talked to my family for an hour and both of my grandmothers. I only used $24 HKD for the almost 2 hours that I was on the phone. Its so nice. The only thing is that I'm not sure when this deal will end (they couldn't tell us). Once it does it will go to 17 cents a minute and I might just have to look for another SIM card with a different provider. That is the main cultural differences that I have noticed thus far and will update you as I see others. Today was a much better day than yesterday. Not only did I get my cell phone but I learned to use every type of transportation (KCR, MTR (both subways), walking, bus, ferry, trolley, and tram. I went to the peak today (you can find a webcam from the peak at discoverhongkong on the internet). It was really pretty. I also now have an apartment. I am staying in Tai Wai. It is 15 minutes from school and I am sharing an 1100 square foot apartment with 2 other people. Which means that I will be able to save money from my housing allowance which is excellent! I am very excited to know where I'm going. I won't leave the hotel until the 13th but that is okay with me as long as I have a place to go after that. Well this post is getting really long and it is getting really late. I'm not quite adjusted yet and am still waking up at 5:00 which if you know me well you know that I don't wake up at 5:00. So off to bed I go and I will hopefully post again soon.

1 Comments:
Hey Caroline - It's good to hear that you're doing well. I wonder what kind of world we're living in when cell phone plans fall under "cultural differences". Im going to link to your blog from mine... hope you don't mind.
By
Micah d., at 11:28 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home