Caroline in Hong Kong

Sunday, April 20, 2008

"Storm Damage"

We really didn't have a big storm yesterday but there was some damage around my complex. I walked to school this afternoon to pick up some assignments to grade. Part of the walk has stairs down to the "subway" (a walkway under a busy high so you don't have to cross the road). The stairs are covered in mud. The bank from the road above slide down and covered the stairs in mud. Nothing much but a small landslide all the same.

Later on the walk is a pathway with a vacant lot to the left. The vacant lot has a fence around it. On the right is a small, small bank beside an on-ramp to the highway nearby the school. One of the trees from the bank fell but it landed on the fence so you can actually walk under it.

Also, beside the old school in Fotan is a new complex going up. It is eleven blocks and about thirty something floors. It's still being built but they have a sign up on it. Parts of the sign blew away yesterday.

It really wasn't much damage but some all the same. I didn't have my camera with me to take pictures but if it isn't raining tomorrow I will try to take some on the way to school. Knowing Hong Kong, they will have the tree taken care of by the end of the day Monday and no later than Tuesday.

In other areas of my life, I was actually productive today. I cleaned my room (we had people come to look at the apartment to possibly move in after we leave), did some laundry, graded all of my papers, and prepared for the week. It feels nice that I am going to school tomorrow caught up on grading and planning.

I spent several hours at Starbucks today completing my grading. Christine joined me for a while but in true Christine fashion, she had good intentions to grade but didn't get much done. She was on the phone most of the time.

However, she did hit me with a brick though. We were talking about leaving/staying. Christine, Sara, and now Emily have all gone through lengthy antagonizing days stressing over if the decision to leave was right. Christine decided against leaving and resigned with ICS. Sara debated up until they actually filled her position. Now Emily is considering signing with another school in Hong Kong. For me, I have a peace about leaving but I am also looking forward to leaving unlike Sara and Emily. Christine in the middle conversation said to me "Seven weekends. That's it. You only have seven weekends in Hong Kong." AAAAHHHHHHHH!

I am ready to leave and I'm really excited about moving to Athens but knowing that it really is 7-8 weekends left really hit me. I will be sad to leave Hong Kong. I know it's coming but most of the time I don't think it can get here quick enough. Usually that's because I'm thinking about the number of days I have left with my students. I don't think about the number of days I have of free time to see and do things in Hong Kong still. I've been trying to plan things that I still want to do here and I might be planning more than I have time for!!! I still have to book my plane ticket!!

So much to do and so little time! Well the good thing about that is it makes time go by faster! In most cases, that is what I prefer right now.

Well time to wash dishes and go to bed. It's a busy week at ICS. We have Standford 10 testing this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home