Easter!
Happy Easter! This is such a wonderful season. It's a time to reflect on our Savior and what He did for each of us on Calvary. I love Easter. I miss being at home during this time of year. I miss seeing the Passion Play at my church and I miss worshipping with my church family in Blairsville.
However, this year, I have picked up on something that I have not seen the past two years. I first noticed it last week but more specifically today. Hong Kong's history has not been one with an overwhelming majority of Christian believers as part of the population. Hong Kong does have a lot of Christians and thankfully, we are not persecuted because of our beliefs here in Hong Kong. We do not have to cover our beliefs in fear of government persecution. However, at the same time I believe that there is still an overwhelming majority of the population that is Buddhist, Muslim, or just very superstitious Chinese. Compare this to America. We were founded by Pilgrims desiring religious freedom. Our Constitution and government were built around a belief and trust in God. I grew up in the Bible-belt South where most everyone goes to church. The two countries are different in this aspect. But it's Hong Kong that clearly proclaims "Easter break" and not "spring break". It's also Hong Kong that has a public holiday for Good Friday.
In Hong Kong we have red letter days. Red letter days are public holidays and they are marked in red on most Chinese calendars. These days are mandatory holidays for banks, post offices and schools. The majority of all red letter days are centered around Buddhist and Chinese beliefs and customs. Mid-Autumn Festival, Ching Ming Festival, Buddha's Birthday, and several days at Chinese New Year are all red letter days. So is Good Friday. I have been amazed this year as God has shown me this one place that He has a hold on in Hong Kong. One place where He has put His hand. I just pray that as people are off today that someone will begin to wonder and to ask why this day is important enough for the government to declare as a holiday. To wonder what is to be celebrated and I pray that through those questions they will come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
This Easter, I have seen God at work here in Hong Kong. I see how even though this place doesn't have a history full of people proclaiming Him as God, He is at work and is present. It also makes me see America in a different light. Americans are trying so hard to please every one and to be tolerant that we don't say "Easter break" or maybe there isn't a break at Easter. Good Friday might just be another Friday. I know Vincent has school on Friday. Many schools are still in session all across America whereas all schools in Hong Kong are closed today. It's an interesting revelation. I pray that God will begin to work in the hearts of Americans as well. America is still full of lost people as well.
This Easter, I pray that each of you that regularly, semi-regularly, or once in a blue moon read this blog are touched by the Holy Spirit. I pray that God will be real in your lives. Thank you for your interest in my life and for your support over the last few years. Sharing about my time in Hong Kong has been a pure joy for me over the years.
As for me, today I'm flying to Vietnam. I'll be spending Easter in Hanoi. I return on March 30. It should be a great trip. Until then, Happy Easter!
However, this year, I have picked up on something that I have not seen the past two years. I first noticed it last week but more specifically today. Hong Kong's history has not been one with an overwhelming majority of Christian believers as part of the population. Hong Kong does have a lot of Christians and thankfully, we are not persecuted because of our beliefs here in Hong Kong. We do not have to cover our beliefs in fear of government persecution. However, at the same time I believe that there is still an overwhelming majority of the population that is Buddhist, Muslim, or just very superstitious Chinese. Compare this to America. We were founded by Pilgrims desiring religious freedom. Our Constitution and government were built around a belief and trust in God. I grew up in the Bible-belt South where most everyone goes to church. The two countries are different in this aspect. But it's Hong Kong that clearly proclaims "Easter break" and not "spring break". It's also Hong Kong that has a public holiday for Good Friday.
In Hong Kong we have red letter days. Red letter days are public holidays and they are marked in red on most Chinese calendars. These days are mandatory holidays for banks, post offices and schools. The majority of all red letter days are centered around Buddhist and Chinese beliefs and customs. Mid-Autumn Festival, Ching Ming Festival, Buddha's Birthday, and several days at Chinese New Year are all red letter days. So is Good Friday. I have been amazed this year as God has shown me this one place that He has a hold on in Hong Kong. One place where He has put His hand. I just pray that as people are off today that someone will begin to wonder and to ask why this day is important enough for the government to declare as a holiday. To wonder what is to be celebrated and I pray that through those questions they will come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
This Easter, I have seen God at work here in Hong Kong. I see how even though this place doesn't have a history full of people proclaiming Him as God, He is at work and is present. It also makes me see America in a different light. Americans are trying so hard to please every one and to be tolerant that we don't say "Easter break" or maybe there isn't a break at Easter. Good Friday might just be another Friday. I know Vincent has school on Friday. Many schools are still in session all across America whereas all schools in Hong Kong are closed today. It's an interesting revelation. I pray that God will begin to work in the hearts of Americans as well. America is still full of lost people as well.
This Easter, I pray that each of you that regularly, semi-regularly, or once in a blue moon read this blog are touched by the Holy Spirit. I pray that God will be real in your lives. Thank you for your interest in my life and for your support over the last few years. Sharing about my time in Hong Kong has been a pure joy for me over the years.
As for me, today I'm flying to Vietnam. I'll be spending Easter in Hanoi. I return on March 30. It should be a great trip. Until then, Happy Easter!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home