A long week! Mid-Autumn Festival this weekend!
Wow! Such a long week and so much happened. With saying that this will probably be a really long post. Monday started off fine. The students talked about Disneyland Hong Kong all day. It was the official opening of the park. It is interesting be here when it opened. It was on the news all day. Disney stuff (real and fake) is being sold everywhere in town. The biggest thing is that it is the smallest of all the Disney parks but it has an amazing view. It is set with a mountain and the South China Sea for a back drop. Not bad if you ask me. I haven't been out there yet but I'm sure I'll make it over there sometime in the next two years. Speaking of being here, I can't believe that I have been here almost two months! Time really is flying.
Tuesday was a big day for the school. We are in the process of reaccredidation. We are currently accredited with WASC (I believe) and are working towards a joint-accredidation with WASC and ACSI (I don't know what WASC stands for but ACSI is Association of Christian Schools International). The people from ACSI were in Hong Kong this week to help us in preparing for the accredidation. They will not come to evaluate us until 2007 but we are already working towards it. Tuesday was when the guy was at the Fo Tan campus. I kinda forgot about it until lunch. They briefly dropped by my room when my students were at specials. Then we had a meeting until 430 that afternoon. It was a good meeting but long when you don't plan for it. I then rushed to Shatin to get my package from Cindy. Thanks so much for getting the book for me, Cindy! I then spent some time shopping in Shatin pricing some stuff. It was kinda nice to be out of the school earlier in the day. However I was exhausted that night so I went to bed at 815. I didn't go to sleep until 930 but it was so nice.
Wednesday I felt better but because I didn't stay and work on Tuesday and I didn't work at home on Tuesday night I had to stay late on Wednesday night. I graded papers and made plans until around 8 which means I wasn't online very long.
Thursday was a crazy day at school! This weekend is the Mid-Autumn Festival (for the full moon). It is really crazy around here. There are lanterns up every where and moon cakes are being sold by the thousands (more on this later). The students also have Friday off (because we have a teacher in-service on Friday and Sat.) and they get Monday off to celebrate the holiday. They were crazy with the holiday coming up and the day off from school and then a parent brought in moon cakes and chocolate cake for the students. Also, I had to have them come in around 130 because they had afternoon specials. The students were wired when they left for Mandarin. I'm surprised they were able to concentrate during Mandarin and Library. When the day with the students was over I still had a ton of work to do because I really didn't want to go in during the weekend. I stayed late so that I could get work done and then took some with me to do at home. Oh well at least I can kinda enjoy the holiday.
Friday and Saturday were two long days at a conference. We went to Christian Alliance International School because we were having a joint in-service. It was nice to see all of their classrooms as we are currently designing our ideal classroom for our new school. I also got to talk with Eileen, Sarika and Athania more. It was nice. On Friday I took a nap and then went to Shatin to buy a fan for my room. My air conditioning isn't working. Today (Saturday) after the inservice I hung out with Eileen and Sarika. It was so nice. We went to Festival Walk (what is a mall to me, like American malls). There is a bookstore there that is mostly English books and they have a huge selection of teacher resource books. It really isn't a good thing that I know about this store. But at the same time I'm really glad that I know about it. It just makes my wish list grow bigger!
It really has been a good week. I'm looking forward to tomorrow as Hong Kong celebrates Mid-Autumn Festival. China goes my a lunar calendar and their holidays are mostly based on this calendar. Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrate on the 15th day of the 8th month each year. It is a full moon and supposedly it is the brightest full moon each year. It is also when they put out a lot of lanterns. They also sell mooncakes. From other expatriates, I am told mooncakes are like fruit cake at Christmas time. They are sold like crazy but not a lot of people like them. I think they are okay. I've only had one kind and there a lot of different kinds. I had the traditional kind. The mooncakes are sold more than fruit cake is though. It's kinda crazy when you are near bakeries. Almost every day this week there has been a huge line of people waiting to get mooncakes. I had two students bring me a tin with 4 mooncakes in it. The tins are beautiful but I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with all the mooncakes yet. You only eat a small piece at the time and not the whole thing.
Well that is pretty much all I know about the Mid-Autumn Festival. I went to a party for the Festival on Thursday night. It was mainly dinner and fellowship and a quiz with moon trivia. However, I did pick up some information that I will type out here.
Mid-Autumn Festival
Mid-Autumn Festival is typically on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month, which for us, is usually in September. Chinese legends say the moon is the brightest and roundest on this day. According to Chinese beliefs, the moon is a symbol of elegance and beauty and is also a trusted friend. The Chinese have several ancient legends about Moon Maidens. One of them is that on this day, little children on earth can see a lady on the moon. If they do see her and make wishes, their dreams will come true. Besides making wishes, Mid-Autumn Festival is about spending time with family members and loved ones. Children run around with bright lanterns. Adults drink lots of hot Chinese tea and eat several different types of mooncakes.
Moon Cake
During the Yuan dynasty (AD 1280-1368) China was ruled by the Monglian people. Leaders from the preceding Sung dynasty (AD 960-1280) were unhappy at submitting to foreign rule, and set how to coordinate the rebellion without it being discovered. The leaders of the rebellion, knowing that the Moon Festival was drawing near, ordered the making of special cakes. Baked into each moon cake was message with the outline of the attack. On the night of the Moon Festival, the rebels successfully attacked and overthrew the government. What followed was the establishment of the Ming dynasty (AD 1368-1644). Today, moon cakes are eaten to commemorate this legend.
Once upon a time there was a famous archer, Hou Yi, who with his arrows was able to slay mankind's worst enemies, ferocious beasts that inhabited the earth. Yi was married to Chang-O, a beautiful but inquisitive woman who had been an attendant of the queen mother of the west before her marriage. Now at this time, there were 10 suns that took turns circling the earth-one every 10 days. One day all 10 of the orbs circled, together, causing the earth's surface to burn and threatening mankind. The wise emperor of China summoned Yi and commanded him to kill but on of the suns. This Yi proceeded to do. Upon the completion of his task, Yi was rewarded with a pill, the elixir of life, and advised: "make no haste to swallow this pill, but first prepare yourself with prayer and fasting for a year." Being a wise man, Yi took the pill home and hid it under a rafter while he began healing his spirit. In the midst of this, Yi was summoned again by the emperor.
While her husband was gone, Chang-O noticed a beam of white light beckoning from under the rafter. She followed it and a fragrant perfume, discovered the pill and swallowed it. Immediately, Chang-O found she could fly. Just at that moment her husband returned home, realized what had happened and began to reprimand his wife. Chang-O flew out the window into the sky. Yi sped after her, bow in hand, and the pursuit continued halfway across the heavens. Finally, Yi had to return to theearth because of the force of the wind.
His wife reached the moon and there, breathless, she coughed and part of the pill fell from her mouth. Now, the hare was already on the moon and Chang-O commanded the animal to take pestle and mortar and pound another pill so that she could return to earth and her husband. The hare is still pounding. As for Yi, he built himself a palace in the sun as Yang (the sun and the male principle), Chang-O as Yin (the moon and the femal principle). Once a year, on the 15th day of the full moon, Yi visits his wife. That is why the moon is full and beautiful on that night. Story by Thomas W. Chinn, Historian.
This is the information I have. I hope you find it interesting and maybe as I find time I can research it. Until then I will just enjoy Sunday celebrating the holiday and Monday with the day off from school. Have a great weekend!
Tuesday was a big day for the school. We are in the process of reaccredidation. We are currently accredited with WASC (I believe) and are working towards a joint-accredidation with WASC and ACSI (I don't know what WASC stands for but ACSI is Association of Christian Schools International). The people from ACSI were in Hong Kong this week to help us in preparing for the accredidation. They will not come to evaluate us until 2007 but we are already working towards it. Tuesday was when the guy was at the Fo Tan campus. I kinda forgot about it until lunch. They briefly dropped by my room when my students were at specials. Then we had a meeting until 430 that afternoon. It was a good meeting but long when you don't plan for it. I then rushed to Shatin to get my package from Cindy. Thanks so much for getting the book for me, Cindy! I then spent some time shopping in Shatin pricing some stuff. It was kinda nice to be out of the school earlier in the day. However I was exhausted that night so I went to bed at 815. I didn't go to sleep until 930 but it was so nice.
Wednesday I felt better but because I didn't stay and work on Tuesday and I didn't work at home on Tuesday night I had to stay late on Wednesday night. I graded papers and made plans until around 8 which means I wasn't online very long.
Thursday was a crazy day at school! This weekend is the Mid-Autumn Festival (for the full moon). It is really crazy around here. There are lanterns up every where and moon cakes are being sold by the thousands (more on this later). The students also have Friday off (because we have a teacher in-service on Friday and Sat.) and they get Monday off to celebrate the holiday. They were crazy with the holiday coming up and the day off from school and then a parent brought in moon cakes and chocolate cake for the students. Also, I had to have them come in around 130 because they had afternoon specials. The students were wired when they left for Mandarin. I'm surprised they were able to concentrate during Mandarin and Library. When the day with the students was over I still had a ton of work to do because I really didn't want to go in during the weekend. I stayed late so that I could get work done and then took some with me to do at home. Oh well at least I can kinda enjoy the holiday.
Friday and Saturday were two long days at a conference. We went to Christian Alliance International School because we were having a joint in-service. It was nice to see all of their classrooms as we are currently designing our ideal classroom for our new school. I also got to talk with Eileen, Sarika and Athania more. It was nice. On Friday I took a nap and then went to Shatin to buy a fan for my room. My air conditioning isn't working. Today (Saturday) after the inservice I hung out with Eileen and Sarika. It was so nice. We went to Festival Walk (what is a mall to me, like American malls). There is a bookstore there that is mostly English books and they have a huge selection of teacher resource books. It really isn't a good thing that I know about this store. But at the same time I'm really glad that I know about it. It just makes my wish list grow bigger!
It really has been a good week. I'm looking forward to tomorrow as Hong Kong celebrates Mid-Autumn Festival. China goes my a lunar calendar and their holidays are mostly based on this calendar. Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrate on the 15th day of the 8th month each year. It is a full moon and supposedly it is the brightest full moon each year. It is also when they put out a lot of lanterns. They also sell mooncakes. From other expatriates, I am told mooncakes are like fruit cake at Christmas time. They are sold like crazy but not a lot of people like them. I think they are okay. I've only had one kind and there a lot of different kinds. I had the traditional kind. The mooncakes are sold more than fruit cake is though. It's kinda crazy when you are near bakeries. Almost every day this week there has been a huge line of people waiting to get mooncakes. I had two students bring me a tin with 4 mooncakes in it. The tins are beautiful but I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with all the mooncakes yet. You only eat a small piece at the time and not the whole thing.
Well that is pretty much all I know about the Mid-Autumn Festival. I went to a party for the Festival on Thursday night. It was mainly dinner and fellowship and a quiz with moon trivia. However, I did pick up some information that I will type out here.
Mid-Autumn Festival
Mid-Autumn Festival is typically on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month, which for us, is usually in September. Chinese legends say the moon is the brightest and roundest on this day. According to Chinese beliefs, the moon is a symbol of elegance and beauty and is also a trusted friend. The Chinese have several ancient legends about Moon Maidens. One of them is that on this day, little children on earth can see a lady on the moon. If they do see her and make wishes, their dreams will come true. Besides making wishes, Mid-Autumn Festival is about spending time with family members and loved ones. Children run around with bright lanterns. Adults drink lots of hot Chinese tea and eat several different types of mooncakes.
Moon Cake
During the Yuan dynasty (AD 1280-1368) China was ruled by the Monglian people. Leaders from the preceding Sung dynasty (AD 960-1280) were unhappy at submitting to foreign rule, and set how to coordinate the rebellion without it being discovered. The leaders of the rebellion, knowing that the Moon Festival was drawing near, ordered the making of special cakes. Baked into each moon cake was message with the outline of the attack. On the night of the Moon Festival, the rebels successfully attacked and overthrew the government. What followed was the establishment of the Ming dynasty (AD 1368-1644). Today, moon cakes are eaten to commemorate this legend.
Once upon a time there was a famous archer, Hou Yi, who with his arrows was able to slay mankind's worst enemies, ferocious beasts that inhabited the earth. Yi was married to Chang-O, a beautiful but inquisitive woman who had been an attendant of the queen mother of the west before her marriage. Now at this time, there were 10 suns that took turns circling the earth-one every 10 days. One day all 10 of the orbs circled, together, causing the earth's surface to burn and threatening mankind. The wise emperor of China summoned Yi and commanded him to kill but on of the suns. This Yi proceeded to do. Upon the completion of his task, Yi was rewarded with a pill, the elixir of life, and advised: "make no haste to swallow this pill, but first prepare yourself with prayer and fasting for a year." Being a wise man, Yi took the pill home and hid it under a rafter while he began healing his spirit. In the midst of this, Yi was summoned again by the emperor.
While her husband was gone, Chang-O noticed a beam of white light beckoning from under the rafter. She followed it and a fragrant perfume, discovered the pill and swallowed it. Immediately, Chang-O found she could fly. Just at that moment her husband returned home, realized what had happened and began to reprimand his wife. Chang-O flew out the window into the sky. Yi sped after her, bow in hand, and the pursuit continued halfway across the heavens. Finally, Yi had to return to theearth because of the force of the wind.
His wife reached the moon and there, breathless, she coughed and part of the pill fell from her mouth. Now, the hare was already on the moon and Chang-O commanded the animal to take pestle and mortar and pound another pill so that she could return to earth and her husband. The hare is still pounding. As for Yi, he built himself a palace in the sun as Yang (the sun and the male principle), Chang-O as Yin (the moon and the femal principle). Once a year, on the 15th day of the full moon, Yi visits his wife. That is why the moon is full and beautiful on that night. Story by Thomas W. Chinn, Historian.
This is the information I have. I hope you find it interesting and maybe as I find time I can research it. Until then I will just enjoy Sunday celebrating the holiday and Monday with the day off from school. Have a great weekend!

2 Comments:
I miss you!!! Hopefully we'll be able to talk soon. Sorry I keep missing your calls. Have a wonderful day and SMILE!!!
~Roomie~
By
Anonymous, at 10:29 AM
hey girl! glad things are good. you'll have to make it to disney at some point while you're there...just to say you went. :)
By
Amy, at 10:59 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home