Caroline in Hong Kong

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I'm learning Cantonese!!!

Yesterday, I went to buy new shoes because I left my tennis shoes at home in Georgia :( While I was waiting for them to go to a warehouse to get my shoes (I think it was just some closet somewhere nearby), the guy asked me something about Chinese. I told him I was learning Cantonese. I think he thought that I was learning Mandarin because he asked what kind of Cantonese. Once we got that sorted out, he asked me to please wait. I was very excited because I knew what he said!

Then tonight I called a taxi company because my feet were hurting in my new shoes and I didn't want to make my feet hurt anymore. Anyway, the taxi company didn't answer but I understood the message in Cantonese!!!!!! Basically they said they were not there and gave the number. Well at least I think that is what they said. It is possible that they said that I had reached and then gave the number.

Either way it was so exciting to hear Cantonese and understand it from someone other than my Cantonese teacher that always speaks slowly. I was so excited to know how much I had learned already. I started the intermediate class this past Sun. I really am enjoying learning this language so much more than I thought I would. I'm also really enjoying being a student again. I really do love being a student. Unfortunately, I cannot be a student all my life but teaching is very close to it and I do get to learn a lot as I learn curriculum to teach.

Oh! Off topic but I'm finally caught up in my grading! Because of being sick in December I have been about a month behind in my grading. But since midterms are due tomorrow I had to be caught up. It's just a nice feeling to know that I came home today and I don't have any grading in my backpack and I don't have any grading waiting for me in my classroom. Now all I need to do is finishing cleaning up my desk! Well I guess it's just one step at a time.

Time to watch House! I'll post more soon.

1 Comments:

  • Oh my, Caroline are you getting organized? I can't wait to see your apt in the states. It should put Patrick to shame then. HA HA HA

    Love you mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home