Caroline in Hong Kong

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Phi Phi Island Pictures

The view of the bay where the ferries arrive. This was taken off from our hotel.
Houses and other buildings in between the two bays. This was taken from the balcony of my hotel room.

More from my hotel.

Kayaking. I really enjoyed this but hated that I got sunburned that day.

This picture is sideways (sorry about that) but it is from the fire dancing show that we saw there. This kid looked to be about 12 years old.

The guys that we met there. Fadi is in the brown shirt, back right. Jimmy is middle front. They are both originally from Egypt but moved to America. Fadi is now living in Thailand doing ministry work and Jimmy was visiting him. The other guy is the Chinese guy they worked with. He didn't speak English and we don't speak Mandarin so communication was very short between us. But he did teach me Mandarin numbers 1-10 that I remembered for a week but have since forgotten.

The beautiful Phi Phi Islands are mainly these tall cliffs rising up out of the sea. This is part of Phi Phi Ley Island that we went to for snorkeling and diving. We stayed on Phi Phi Don Island.

The bottom of the tall cliffs all look like this. The base that goes into the water is small and there is a shelf between most of the cliffs and the water in which the water as eroded it. It was amazing to see but hard to describe.

The lagoon (I forgot the full name). This was the first stop on our day snorkeling. We only went swimming here.

Swimming in the lagoon. The water was so clear and refreshing but extremely salty!!

Snorkeling at our first location. I really liked this location but it quickly became overcrowded with boats. The coral and fish were amazing to see. I could have stayed out there snorkeling for a long time but we moved on. I had the life jackets on so we didn't have to work so hard when snorkeling but I found it annoying. I took it off and just held onto the strap as I swam around.

Maya Bay and Maya Beach. The movie The Beach was filmed here. It was beautiful. The water near the beach is only about two feet deep and crystal clear. It really is amazing.

Three long tail boats at anchor in Maya Bay.


Picture of Phi Phi Don Island as we were coming back in from our day out.

Young locals playing out near the boats in the low tide. I love this picture.

Learning about diving. I learned a lot but because of sitting and reading posters and listening on the way out to the dive site I got really sea sick. This picture luckily was taken before I was really feeling sick.

Christine and I getting ready to go diving.

Yep! My mask fits. Our instructor, Elliot, told us that if you put a mask on your face and breathe in it should stay on your face without the strap. Then you know it is a good fit. This is a picture of me testing my mask.

Preparing to go diving. This is Christine, Corina, and I sitting on the back of the boat before we go diving.

In the water and ready to go. I really enjoyed diving but I prefer snorkeling. I don't ever want to go very deep when it comes to diving.

Coming back in. That rope was really helpful because it is very difficult to swim with the tank and other stuff on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home