Caroline in Hong Kong

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Busy Times

So busy... Things are definitely busy right now but not as busy as they were in September. October started off with much needed days off and now are in the full swing of work. Our first term ends at the end of the month so the next two weeks are filled with lots of work and finishing projects before the last term.

In Social Studies we have been in the middle of our mountains unit. It's a lot of fun because we "travel" across the world learning about the different ranges across the world. The students have passports to fill out and all but one day are PowerPoint lessons. I also enjoy it because we visit the Appalachian Mountains and I get to focus on the mountains I miss and share more about life outside of a city with my students. I was also observed this week during my Social Studies lesson on the Andes. It went fine but a little frustrating because I didn't know I was being observed until the afternoon before. I just went with what I had ready and I know there are things I could have done better.

Other than that school is about the same as usual...lots of grading and lots of planning to get done in a short amount of time. Next weekend is our Fall Festival/Walk-a-Thon which will be a busy Saturday for all but should be a lot of fun.

Lately, I have been hanging out more with Sara, Emily, and Christine D. (all new teachers to ICS this year). It's nice to have friends that are my age, single, and did not grow up in Hong Kong this year. We went into China during our days off the week before last and then went back yesterday (Friday) after school to pick up the clothes that were at the tailors. Unforunately the clothes were not all ready. It was a fun evening though. We went back to Taco Bell. As we were getting on the train I got stuck at the gate things (I don't know what they are called) because my coin didn't work. The other three were on the train before they realized that I wasn't with them. They quickly got off to find me though. On the way back when we were getting on the train, I got on just as the bell started saying the doors were closing but unfortunately Sara didn't make the train. The doors closed just as she got to them. Her look of shock and confusion was really funny (mainly because we were all exhausted). All four of us started laughing really hard once we realized what had happened. The rest of the train was laughing with us and a few of the Chinese guys on the train turned around and waved as the train left the station. It was hilarious. We stopped laughing enough to discuss what to do. We decided to get off at the next station and wait for the next train to catch up with Sara so she wouldn't be alone. Once her train got there she was shocked to see us. She didn't expect us to do that. Once we sat down though we all started laughing again. Fortunately we made it back to Luo Hu after that without problems and crossed back into Hong Kong.

It was a great night. We have to go back soon to get the rest of our clothes because they were not all ready. With Fall Festival being next week I'm not sure when we will make it back though. The next weekend we have Monday off so we might go then and go to the spa. We are also talking about going to Windows of the World (a theme park in Shenzhen with all the world's main attractions in a smaller version for you to see) or go to Ocean Park (a theme park in Hong Kong). We are all going to Macau in December (with Stephanie) because Stephanie and Emily are running a half-marathon. Christine, Sara, and I are not that active or deligent with exercising but we are joining to have fun. I know we have discussed other trips as well but I not sure which ones will happen yet.

God definitely answered some prayers from last year when He brought them here. It is so nice to have people to hang out with. There are other people that are great to hang out with that are new this year as well. Times like this it's impossible to thing that these happen for any other reason besides them being part of God's plan. God has been showing me a lot currently. This past week the topic of creation has come up a lot. Sarika is starting a Bible study on creation. I read through most of her book in a night. It was very interesting. It is by Dr. Ken Hovind. At the back he was answering questions about things in the Bible such as the flood and what seems like contradictions in the Bible. He also talks about the Big Bang Theory and Evolution and the big holes in their theories. It is really good and very interesting to look at from someone so researched and knowledgeable on the subject. Then again in church today the service was focusing on who God is and the sermon talked some about creation. It is good to see God working. I know that I have not been looking to God like I want to or like I once did. As I give God control of my life once again of those things I have tried to control on my own it is great to see Him working and helping me to see Him in my life.

Few prayer requests before I close. A few of my students were caught on the bus discussing some things that are not only inappropriate but full of sin. These are not kids that I would suspect it from (sorry I'm being vague for a reason). Just prayer for these students that they will look to God and turn away from these things. I was very shocked to hear about this and I am concerned for these students.

Also pray for my school. There is a lot going on at ICS between fund-raising for a new building, accredidation, changing uniforms, discussing next year calendar, and many others. This requires a lot of decision making and trying to please lots of people can be difficult. It also requires a lot of work outside of the main job that most of us were hired to do - teach. Just pray that God will continue to guide the school and work in all of us that His will is what is done and that we continue to look for that in all decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home