Caroline in Hong Kong

Friday, March 17, 2006

A Very Long Day

So I knew yesterday that today would be a long day but really, it was long. I got very upset halfway through it and then stressed and frustrated and I just wanted to leave but of course I couldn't. Today was our Science Fair/Open House. However, they way I understood it until this week was that we would be in the MPR room with our Science Fair projects and the lower grades would be in their classrooms. Then I found out this week that we had to have our rooms open as well. My room was a disaster. I talked to my principal today and at first he said I could just close my door and turn off my lights but then he said no. So in turn I had to put everything in a box to hide it which creates more work. Anyway, that was very frustrating but not all of it. We started with chapel and then because my kids had music my morning was really short and there was no hope for time in the afternoon really. After chapel I let my kids set up their boards and look at each others which was great. The kids were interested in seeing each others and were quite.

Then we took our Bible test and had our math lesson and then started our Asia map quiz. That was all their was time for unfortunately. Anyway, during music was the highlight of my day. We are in the middle of our School Speciality order for next school year (things such as bulletin board borders, bookmarks, and things for our class room). Well I found out that I still have money from this year that I could use. Which is great because I have really wanted small dry erase boards for my students and base 10 blocks and I can order them. Anyway, it was somewhat of a mess though and I was talking with Karen Lee about it and then through the magic that Karen, Lydia, and Vivian tend to have in the office I ended up with 3 things that I was ordering and one extra thing. By accident we were sent an extra set of another teacher's order earlier this year. That order included dry erase boards, some border, and counting chips. I was very happy. That also left me with more money to order other things. I was very happy then. Then after lunch when my kids were going to PE I was asked to put up tables for the science fair. I really didn't mind doing it but at the end of the day I did because I didn't get my roomed cleaned.

After my kids got back they did a good job setting up their boards but then they meandered around while they were putting their reports with their board. I was so frustrated with them and then Keith added more work because I had to have the kids put their names on their judging rubric which was frustrating because it took so much more time to put out then just setting out a piece of paper. Anyway then I had to judge projects for the next hour and I was frustrated with the process and for people yelling at me and stuff while I was trying to finish. I was so stressed but oh well its over.

After the two hours of talking with parents and students I helped clean up and then came home. It was a 13.5 hours is very long! I'm glad we only do this once a year. It was a good fair but I will say that I have a lot of things that I would like to change. Anyway, I'm off to China tomorrow to get my clothes which is very exciting and its only 12 more teaching days until Easter break!!!

Have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home